Growing quickly during this period, WUP outgrew its downtown facilities and the university moved its campus to Allegheny City (present-day North Side).The university eventually found itself on a 10-acre (4.0 ha) site on the North Side's Observatory Hill at the location of its Allegheny Observatory.In 1895 WUP established its School of Law, and Andrew Carnegie and George Westinghouse were elected to the Board of Trustees, where they joined Andrew Mellon who had been elected in 1894.The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and Pittsburgh Dental School also joined the university in 1896.It is the oldest continuously chartered institution of learning in the U. Within a short period, more advanced education in the area was needed, so in 1819 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania amended the school's 1787 charter to confer university status.The school took the name the Western University of Pennsylvania, or WUP, and was intended to be the western sister institution to the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.The decision to remain committed to liberal education nearly killed the university, but it persevered despite its abandonment by the city and state.
In 1787 after the American Revolutionary War, it was founded on the edge of the American frontier as the Pittsburgh Academy.A member of the Association of American Universities, Pitt is the sixth-largest recipient of federally sponsored research funding among U. universities in 2013, and it is a major recipient of research funding from the National Institutes of Health.Pitt students have access to various arts programs throughout the campus and city, and can participate in over 400 student clubs and organizations.Due to the catastrophic nature of these fires, operations were suspended for a few years to allow the university time to regroup and rebuild.
By 1854, WUP had erected a new building on the corner of Ross and Diamond (now Forbes Avenue) streets (site of the present day City-County building) and classes resumed in 1855.
There, it constructed two new buildings, Science Hall and Main Hall, that were occupied by 18 respectively.